Why I... Cheated on Daisy

"The fact that he had one [a mistress] was insisted upon wherever he was known. His acquaintances resented the fact that he turned up in popular restaurants with her and, leaving her at a table, sauntered about, chatting with whomever he knew" (2.3-4). 

Why I... Cheated on Daisy
I will cut to the chase. I cheated on Daisy with Myrtle because I can. I don't mean to come off as arrogant, but I am Tom Buchanan for Christ's sake. If I want to engage in a harmless affair, I sure as hell have the right. More specifically however, I cheated on Daisy due to a combination of the way I was feeling and the things I was thinking. I was experiencing a sense of boredom, dissatisfaction, lust for something more and quite honestly a little jealousy. I cheated on Daisy because I am a man who needs constant attention. Whether or not you think what I did was mortally correct, it was necessary. I thrive off of adventure. A woman who depends on me for her every waking need is what wakes me up in the morning. I was simply feeling as though Daisy was moving on from me. She seemed to be becoming too comfortable in our relationship as every day passed. And I simply cannot have that. The glorious life I provide for her is one she could not dream of being provided from any other man. The least she can do is win over my love and attention every day just like when we first met. That's the least she owes me for all I have done for her. And so I cheated on Daisy because I wanted something more. It was a simple and harmless solution, really. When I would feel a sense of dissatisfaction in my relationship with Daisy I would travel out to the Valley of Ashes, where Myrtle lives. I would pursue this affair with Myrtle for a while and when I was ready, I would return home, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. No harm, no foul if I say so. 

Comments

  1. Oh man I am glad I fought you. Daisy doesn't deserve a man who cheats on her- no offense to Myrtle, but Daisy is one of a kind and she shouldn't be thrown aside because you want something more. I can provide her with the wealth she wants too, sorry old sport but move over. If you keep treating Daisy like that I'm gonna steal your girl, no harm no foul though.

    -Gatzzzzzby

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you cheated on me with Myrtle at first, I didn't know how to react. I didn't accept it at first, of course I was disappointed, confused, and furious. However, it came to my knowledge that Gatsby lived right across the bay from us. So, I decided to have an affair too. What I don't understand is how you can cheat on me, but when I do it you have something to say. I find it funny of course, because I don't need you it's true. I would leave you in a heartbeat if you admitted that you just wanted me to be helpless and needy. I won't of course, apologize for my actions or Gatsby's actions. You were a mere second thought when Gatsby left for war, and I regret not waiting for him.
    -Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I ask you a question? Why are you allowed to have an affair but I am not? Why can you have fun and be happy with your life while I am forced to sit at home and just accept the idea of you having an affair? This is ridiculous. Why am I the only one who is supposed to make you feel loved? Why can you not do the same for me? This is why we do not deserve each other. You belong with your "woman in New York" and I belong with Gatsby. I know he can give me a better, more loving and luxurious life anyways. And by the way, you are old money Tom Buchanan, I know the new money Jay Gatsby can give me an adventurous life. I do not need you either. I belong with Gatsby.
    -Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tom, I can't believe you would treat on my sweet cousin. I can't believe you, and to think I went out and partied with you and acted like it was all okay. You are a horrible person and to think that you cheated on her and gave her so much crap for wanting to be with Daisy and then preventing them from being together. He is so much better for her than you. Bye Tom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I... Broke Myrtle's Nose

What I was Feeling... When I Broke Myrtle's Nose