What I was Thinking... When I Broke Myrtle's Nose

"Some time toward midnight Tom Buchanan and Mrs. Wilson stood face to face discussing, in impassioned voices, whether Mrs. Wilson had any right to mention Daisy's name.
'Daisy! Daisy! Daisy!' shouted Mrs. Wilson. 'I'll say it whenever I want to! Daisy! Dai –– '
Making a short deft movement, Tom Buchanan broke her nose with his open hand" (2.125-127).

What I was Thinking... When I Broke Myrtle's Nose
What gives a woman the right to tauntingly speak to me that way? Does she even have the slightest idea who I am? I am Tom Buchanan, the oldest son of an extremely wealthy and successful "old money" East Egg family. If I tell Myrtle that she is not to mention Daisy's name in my presence, then she dare not disobey me. What a low life, scum of the earth woman she is. Often times I find myself wondering what it is exactly I am getting out of this affair with her. I have a woman at home that can tend to my needs perfectly. In the grand scheme of things, spending time with Myrtle will only drag down my social status. 
Oh how Myrtle makes my blood boil. Someone should knock some sense into that lowly woman. There is no woman on earth that has the right to treat a man this way. And a woman of Myrtle's wealth stature sure as hell has no place in disobeying me. I cannot stand to hear Daisy's name in these situations. I come out to parties like these to escape my life back in Long Island. The last thing I want to hear when I am intoxicated is my mistress taunting me with the name of my wife. 
I am in no way in the wrong here. I warned Myrtle not to say Daisy's name. I discussed with her why she had no right. Therefor, to blatantly disobey me like that is just a downright sin. And so, I hit her. I hit her so hard that I broke her nose right there on the spot And as a matter of fact, I don't regret doing it for a second. Any woman that has the nerve to think so highly of herself that she can blatantly ignore my demands deserves to be hit. Thinking back on it now, I spared her from a worse punishment. Any man with a sense of worth would have pushed her right out of the window to her death. I was being merciful to Myrtle but smacking her. That ignorant wench deserved far worse that a blow to the face and a broken nose. I could've shattered her legs with a bat and that would still be merciful after the way I was treated. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I... Broke Myrtle's Nose

What I was Feeling... When I Broke Myrtle's Nose

Why I... Cheated on Daisy