What I was Thinking... When I Cheated on Daisy

"The fact that he had one [a mistress] was insisted upon wherever he was known. His acquaintances resented the fact that he turned up in popular restaurants with her and, leaving her at a table, sauntered about, chatting with whomever he knew" (2.3-4). 

What I was thinking... When I Cheated on Daisy
You want to know what was I thinking when I cheated on Daisy with Myrtle? Quite honestly I was thinking it wouldn't really stir much conflict. In all honesty, why is it an issue? Who are my personal affairs truly affecting? I am a man in need of constant adventure and excitement. It is what keeps me motivated in life. Take for instance my college years, where some may say I "peaked" in my golden days playing football for Yale. Regardless, you can only imagine my extravagant adventures during that point in my life. Once I settled down with Daisy, the thrill of first love began to die down and my life quickly lost the excitement it once withheld. In this situation, I was thinking there is nothing wrong with a harmless affair. I am a man who thrives on attention. After the marriage, Daisy started to become too comfortable around me. I lost the feeling that she was as passionately lustful for me as she used to. And so naturally, I sought after the attention of another woman. I figured I could enjoy my beautiful wife and the wonderful life we have built together, but when I become bored and she stops satisfying my every desire I can have Myrtle satisfy my unfulfilled needs. Can you blame me? Daisy should be so beyond grateful for the extravagant life no other man could even begin to provide for her. In some ways, Daisy owes this to me. If I feel our marriage becomes stagnant, I have the right to seek attention from other women. That is what I was thinking when I began this affair. 

Comments

  1. Yeah, good question: what WERE you thinking? Daisy doesn't owe you anything. She deserves the world, not to be treated merely as a means of pleasure. This is the exact reason why Daisy doesn't actually love you, old sport - you're terrible. Catch ya at the green light! -Gatsby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I... Broke Myrtle's Nose

What I was Feeling... When I Broke Myrtle's Nose

Why I... Cheated on Daisy